Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It has been over 3 weeks since Jim's passing. It is weird, because to me it feels like it was just yesterday we lost him. I think we all have a protective mechanism in us that somehow makes us want to believe he is still alive. I know in my mind that he has passed to the other side but part of me still wants to believe he will still walk through the door. Not rational, but real. I have decided that grieving is not rational and that is ok. I have also noticed that my brain is not very sharp right now. I think it is using all of it's energy just to keep me going. I have had people ask me if we are more in a routine now or somehow more used to the idea. The answer is no. As much as we try to do the normal family activities there is a huge hole in our lives. I doubt very much that that hole will ever go away. Maybe we will just get used to it. Also, regular activities somehow lose their meaning when you lose that person you are so connected to.

People wonder how the children are doing. It is a hard question to answer because on the outside they seem like they are doing fine. They are tough cookies and have had to deal with a lot these past months. They go to school every day, are involved in various activities, do their homework, practice their lessons and go on with their routines. They are strong and stubborn like their Mom and Dad. I worry though that we are all just carrying on and then in about 6 months we are all going to crash. I guess that is ok though. There are no rules as to how we are supposed to work through this process.

One thing I have noticed though is that Jim's death has reinforced our bond as a family. We know that nothing is more important than being together again. We have felt Jim's influence over us. We are a united front. The kids and I have bonded more deeply and everyone has every one's back. I notice small miracles happen everyday. Spencer who used to not have alot of patience with Nathan is now going out of his way to make sure that he includes his younger brother in everything. He mentioned to Nathan the other day that he and Brendan were going to take Nate to Father's and Son's and how much fun they were going to have. That does a mother's heart good. I have also noticed miracles of myself having more patience with my children in ways that I did not have patience before. One of the kid's told me that when faced with decisions they hear Jim's voice (not literally) in their head guide them. I guess losing Jim has changed our perspective in alot of ways. The things that you thought were important before, the annoying habits, the imperfections all are just not as important in the big scheme of things. I know that is Jim watching over and influencing his family. Nothing is more important to him than his family.

Today I Am Thankful for Heavenly Father's Plan and that our family knows it and has faith in it. What a wonderful gift.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, and reminding us how important our families are. I think about you guys every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is in Kevin and I's hearts, thoughts and prayers everyday. Kevin wishes he was able to be there. He loves you all! So do I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could so see that unity even in discussion. Yes, whatever he is assigned over there, he will always stay close at hand. Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the hole will go away; I don't believe it should. But we started building a bridge as we mourned together, and eventually, we will complete that bridge. But for our sojourn in mortality, it will always be just a bridge. From time to time, we will return to it, look down, and silently weep, then we will move on again, grateful for our knowledge and the love we share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know that you and your family have a special place in our hearts. Jim influenced Dan in so many ways, and we think of you often. You are so amazing, and I love that you recognize that there is no set way to do what you're doing, so just keep taking it a day at a time. You're always in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mamma, Bren, Gege, Sarah, and Nater!!!
    I loves ya'all!!!!
    So Bren...First dance? Wow Congrats! She must be a really good catch for you. I mean come on you two look so cute together! Well Good luck with everything, my best wishes to ya.
    Oh Mamma! You are are truely a sweetheart! I love you! How wonderful is it that we have have technology through which we can record our lives and big activities? I am thankful for such great friends like you and your Lovely family. You guys are a HUGE blessing in my life. I hope I will get to hug you very soon...as it is much needed for both of us. I loe you so much and I pray n' hope for the very best for you and your family. Good Luck to you and to your sweet family! Loves ya!
    Sarah, I lovee you my dear sister!!!! What more can I say to you than that? Well besides the fact that we need to hang out.
    So Gege, How you holding up? You are truely amazing!!! I don't really know much about you...yet. But I plan on see you very soon! Just Hang in there bud I am always here for you. I know I am not much, but I hope I can help you at least a little bit. I love you lots! Good luck with your school work...Yikes the big year of the Graduation!!! I know you will kick it's butt! Love ya!
    Nater Tater...What on earth? You are such a little stinker sometimes!!! Oh man FRUIT CAKE!!!! Connor the sloosher has no idea what he is getting himself into does he? Well I wish you many a better road. Love ya!
    Loves to ya'll!
    Kayla Gonzalez
    P.S.
    I think all ya'll are so amazing you are wonderful children of our heavenly father.

    ReplyDelete