Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 19 Post transplant - 28 days in hospital

Today is a much better day. The ICU doctor told Jim yesterday if he would walk around the unit once (with a walker) he would take out Jim's breathing tube. Today, Jim walked around the unit and waved while walking past the room the doctors were having rounds in. He wanted to make sure they all saw him. So, the tube gets to come out. They are doing a scope (roter rooter)first and then he will walk again at 4:00 and then the tube comes out. It's a little scary because he still is sick and has alot of secretions. I don't want him to have to be reintubated, but I think it will be a nice motivator for Jim. Also, then he won't have to be restrained anymore. He will be able to scratch his own itches.

Labs all look pretty good. In terms of the bonemarrow transplant he is doing well. The doctors suspect he is having a little bit of graft vs. host disease. They scoped him today so that they could rule out an infection causing his stomach distress. A little bit of graft vs. host is not a bad thing. It will actually attack any lymphoma left in his system. But, if he has a flare up of graft vs. host they will have to treat it with steroids. It is very hard to wean bone marrow patients off of the steroids once they are on. He is still being fed through the IV. Yesterday, he wrote on a piece of paper wanting to know when he could have a cookie. Poor guy, hasn't had a drink or even an ice chip in 2 weeks.

Jim is less confused today. He seems to be a little more clear. I don't know exactly what has been causing the confusion. I think it is probably a mix of sickness, medication, sleep deprivation and a little chemo/radiation brain. I am glad to see him clearing. I was getting a little nervous. I am starting to see more and more of "My Jim" and less of "Strange Jim." Don't get me wrong, I would take "Strange Jim" but I have really missed "My Jim." You think it would be nice just to be able to talk to your spouse, have them listen and not be able to give you any guff, but I have really missed the sound of his voice. A couple of times I have called his cell phone even though I knew it was turned off, just to hear the sound of his voice. I can't wait! Yea!

Today I AM THANKFUL FOR progress! Yea!

4 comments:

  1. Yae!!! I had a great visual of Jim waving to the doctors. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suzanne! I love you so much and I am praying for you and your sweet family. I wish I were still in Ogden so I could give you a big hug. Loves!

    Candace Freire

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now you've heard the sound of his voice! I am so happy for this day! For you! For Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so glad he is progressing! Yeah for breathing tube out. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete