Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 70 Post Transplant

Well, Tuesdays appointment did not go so well. I was able to help Jim down both flights of stairs at home and he did pretty well. When we got to the clinic they told us that he needed two units of blood again and also platelets. They decided because of all of the unresolved things going on that it would be best to hospitalize him and give him a "tune up." There are just a bunch of little things going on. Here are the issues, blood pressure issues (up and down all day), passing out several times a day, high blood sugars, weakness, CMV (virus in gut) and basically all of his labs are in the toilet. The doctors think that alot may be medication related and his CMV virus causing alot of this. They are also very concerned about safety. His platelets have been so low and with him so scary on his feet that if he fell he could bleed to death. So, right now they are changing some medications, monitoring his labs, managing is blood sugars, intensely looking at his heart function, and making sure his kidney and liver functions are ok. He also is getting blood and platelets when he needs it. They are also going to give him some intense physical therapy. We are thinking that this will be a short stay. Although I am sad he is not home, it is actually a relief for me. I have been feeling like his health was spinning out of control and that he was not making any progress. I was pulling my hair out to try and figure out what to do to fix him. Obviously I am not a doctor and do not have a lab in my house. So, this is good. I do have to do the hospital commute, but I actually have been able to get a few good nights of sleep which was something I didn't get when he was home. So, hopefully they can fix this stuff and get him home soon so he can progress.

Today I AM THANKFUL that school is almost out. Tuesday after we admitted Jim I went to Nates Shakespeare, Wednesday Sarah's Spartones concert and tonight more Shakespeare. Whoo Hooo! I Love my Kids.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear Jim has to be in the hospital, but hopefully it won't be long and they'll get him back on his feet. Is Nate in a play? I forget Nate and T are the same age, we're neck deep in end of year activities. It's fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate was a star as McDuff! I loved it, but hated seeing what a grown up he seemed to be! You guys are all my stars, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne,
    Thanks for the updates on Jim. I'm glad you have some moments of relief and pray you always feel good about how you deal with so many things going on around you. Love the Heiner's

    ReplyDelete