Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day # - 8 (Radiation Day 2)

This was Jim's second day of radiation. When I got here this morning he said that he woke in the night with nausea and a bright red face. He also told me that he gained 10 lbs overnight. A little fluid overload. They told us radiation was rough, but he tolerated Chemo so well before, we were hoping the nausea would not kick in so soon. I guess some people throw up while they are standing there getting the radiation because it affects them so fast. It is tolerable so far and there are good drugs available. He did great standing for the radiation. I hope tomorrow isn't much different.

Jim has 3 goals written on his white board.

1. Get up and walk in the hall everyday
2. Eat meals in Chair
3. Have a positive attitude.

So far, so good. Despite nausea, he walked in the hall after his shower and he also walked to the elevator before radiation. Hopefully, he can walk one more time today before bed. It is a huge effort because he has to put the gown, mask and gloves on to protect himself from infection. So, by the time he dresses up in his "costume", he is tired.

He says that his appetite is already gone, but he is still eating.

As far as attitude goes, Jim is not much of a complainer. Not so funny today, but still a good attitude. He is pretty tired. Just had a really good nap. I am going to try to get him to walk before I go home. He just said "No."

Today, Jim and I are THANKFUL FOR nausea medication.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people asked me today how long the radiation therapy takes. If he feels this way after two days worth, I am pretty thankful for that nausea medication too! And will likely be pretty thankful for that contraption to help him stand up by the end of this week. I think that I will put on my cape and play "super Jim" too!

    ReplyDelete