Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day # 9 post transplant - 18 days in hospital

Quick Update - Yesterday was pretty rough. Jim was very out of it. He didn't even know who I was. They did a brain MRI which came back with good results. Blood pressure was very high last night and he was very agitated. I was feeling like it was probably pretty slim for him to pull through this. I spoke with a PA who didn't give me much reassurance. We were all very concerned. In the middle of the night ( I have totally lost track of day or time) I was feeling pretty sad. I cried and prayed for a miracle.

This morning I was laying in the lazyboy next to Jim and I heard him stirring. The nurse told him he was OK and that his wife was here. I looked up and saw him looking for me. When I looked at him I could tell he was still in there behind those eyes. My heart lept. He mouthed (he cant talk because of the breathing tube)"What is going on." I explained everything from the beginning because I didn't know what he knew. I asked him if he was scared and he nodded his head. I told him he was in good hands and that we were all doing everything we could. He probably was a little confused why I was so happy telling him he was sick and had a breathing tube in. I was just so happy he was awake and responding to me. I told him I couldn't be in the room for the 2 hour treatment but that I would be down the hall. He gave me the thumbs up sign. That was the best thing I have seen for days.

We are certainly not out of the woods yet. He has RSV all the way down into his lungs. He still needs ventilation support and the fact he is a bone marrow pt complicates things further. I think he will end up in medical journals because the things they are doing to help him have not been done before. So, he is still very much at risk, and very sick but this is a very positive step in a positive direction and being awake more and alert just gives me more opportunities to tell him how great he is and how much I love him.

Today I Am Thankful For small miracles.

5 comments:

  1. All I have to say about today is "Whew!!!" Now I have tears of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for that miracle you spoke of on your last post! The love you exhibit for your beloved spouse is heart warming! Surely our awesome God is smiling upon the two of you.
    Blessings,
    Karen and George Vint(your mom's friends in St. George!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to update us out here in cyberland, even on those really hard days. I am glad for the hope you feel today, and hope tomorrow is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for not only Jim, but for you.
    I am praying that both of you can continue to feel the love and hope of those who love you. So many of us want to come and visit, but know that timing is everything. Know you are all in my thoughts and prayers, and thank-you for keeping us updated.
    May God continue to encompass you all in the arms of His love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We fasted, got up early Saturday morning, and went to the temple and put your names in. You are in our hearts & our prayers. I KNOW others are doing likewise. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete