Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 1

They call this day 1 because it is the first day after Jim's stem cell transplant even though he gets another bag today. They keep track of the days so they can measure how he is doing. Usually the first hundred days are the most crucial.

Today is Friday and I was going to come a little later since I am spending the night. I thought since I spend all day here and then go home a little fried at night that I would do a little house maintenance this morning. It is also my Dad's b-day and I wanted to stop in and tell him Happy B-day. I was hoping he and Jim could share a b-day. I guess they technically could since he gets another stem cell bag today. Any way, HAPPY B-DAY Daddy. I LOVE YOU!

I called Jim at 8:30 this morning and he didn't sound so good. He said that he woke with an excruciating headache and his stomach hurt. So needless to say, I got in the car and came right away. I know there is really not much I can do but I get a little panicky when I know he is having a hard time and I am not there. I wish he was closer, but LDS Hospital is the only bone marrow transplant unit in Utah. I guess it could be worse, he could be in another state.

So, today may not have any funny moments or alot of laughter, but if there is any we will be sure to find it. In this situation, you have to look for those moments because if you don't you can really get bogged down. I don't think he thinks I am as funny today though as he did yesterday.

So today I think we have hit a low. Not that more lows won't come but today his blood counts are down more and he feels pretty bad. He said that it hurts and takes too much energy to even turn over in bed. They (hosp. staff) are not really sure why the headaches but could be any number of things. They are not really concerned, they just treat the symptoms as they happen. It is pretty normal to feel lousy at this point. They have given him some pretty good pain meds so he has been out of it most of the day. It kills me to see him suffer but I guess though if you look at a silver lining we have to reach the lows before we can go up. So, hopefully the lows won't get much lower or last too long. We are looking forward to the ups.

Today I AM THANKFUL FOR dear friends who are feeding my family, picking up my kids when they are stranded at play practice or violin, picking up my daughter and giving her a "mommy hug" when she needs it, taking my kids for the night, sending us thoughtful notes, gifts, treats, and texts and praying for us. We love you and feel your love. We gain great strength from that.

I feel like I should leave you with a joke, but all I know is dumb blond jokes so I will spare you.

7 comments:

  1. Up, up up we go in the days to come! I'm trying to remember last time when he wstarted feeling better, maybe day 20 or so, or maybe I just want to get to that time whenever it is right now. I'm sucking on throat lozenges and thinking how much cancer sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I have to thank all those wonderful people there in S. Ogden for doing for your family what I wish I were doing. Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that it helps you now but LDS is not the only BMT unit in the state. The University of Utah and Huntsman have a wonderful program and BMT unit. Good Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops my mistake. I thought I had read on the literature that it was the only unit in the state. I only wish it were a little closer for my convenience, but I have no complaints about the staff or unit. This is our 2nd transplant here and I am amazed with the care we receive. We wouldn't go anywhere else. I only wish it were next door to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne, let us know how we can help, or if you or your kids need a place to hang out for a while here in SLC. Our house is your house!
    Emily and John

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those who keep checking the blog and haven't seen anything for a couple of days - This is the hard time. Jim feels lousy; Suzanne is by his side. Maybe a week from now things will begin to get better. For now, he feels crummy, but nothing is abnormal. That is what Suz reported this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, we sure love you guys. Our prayers and thoughts are full of you and your kids. Jim you are a wonderful and good man. Thanks for being Mikes friend. Suzy Q you know your a super freakin lady!
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete