Monday, March 22, 2010

Day #11 Post Transplant (20 days in hospital) Possible Engraftment

Last night after much personal debate, I decided after not being home since Tuesday night that I would go home and see my kids and get some sleep in a bed. I felt like we were on a stable course and he was more aware. Jim's sister sat with him in between treatments from 9 Pm - 2:00 Am and then he went to treatment and my Mom came and sat with him after his treatment from 5:00 Am to 10:00 AM. That eased my mind so much because I just don't want him to be alone and afraid. He likes to have someone there to hold his hand. It kills me he has to be alone during his treatments, but that I can't control but I can control the rest of the time.

Today we are definitely on the upswing. The doctors think he has engrafted which means the new marrow is making cells. That is pretty early. Normally engraftment does not happen until day 14 - 20 and they usually will suppress that to prevent graft vs. host disease, but at this point it is good he is engrafting because that will give him some immunity to fight this RSV off. He still has a breathing tube
and has some ventilator support. He actually stood and walked to the nurses station today. Doesn't sound like much but is HUGE.

Tonight, my brother is going to sit with him between treatments and then our friend Jimmy is going to take the morning shift. I am so glad he is more aware and that there are people willing to sit with him so I can actually sleep. It is also good for my kids to see me come home at night and see them off in the morning. I know these last 5 days have been very hard on them. I am sure when we pulled them out of school on Thursday to see him, they couldn't help but think it might be goodbye. They are amazing kids though. Last night when I got home at 8:00 (now remember I hadn't been home since Tuesday}, they had spent the day cleaning and doing laundry so I wouldn't have to come home to it. I walked in the door at 8:00 PM and they were in the kitchen together making French Toast. Neighbors had invited them to dinner so I guess this was a snack. Anyway, I came home to see them and take care of them but instead I was tucked into bed, Sarah rubbed my back and Nate slept with me. They have had much help from family and friends but it was good to see them pulling together to help.

Today I AM THANKFUL FOR Mom and Nedra who sat here with Jim last night so I could get some sleep, and for my kids who cleaned up so I wouldn't be stressed when I got home. Also, I am thankful for neighbors who thought to call my kids on a Sunday to come over for a "pity party" and some good food.

Just so you know I wasn't being rude when I called it a pity party. When Jim, Camille, and Andee all had cancer we would get together with our families and some friends and have "pity parties." There wasn't any pitying going on just alot of inappropriate cancer jokes, alot of laughing and alot of love. I miss those pity parties. Can't wait for another one.

9 comments:

  1. Super good news all around! Those kids are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad things are finally moving in a positive direction. If there is ever anything we can do, I am not working and I can be there in as little as 10 hours.

    All of our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

    Love,
    James & Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the tiniest progress makes me happy, but this is wonderful. A walk to the nurses station is a real milestone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo glad to hear things are looking up! Brit's family keep asking about you guys and they keep reminding us to tell you they are praying for you too. Family is pretty great, isn't it.

    I look forward to coming up and seeing him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign me up for a shift while we are out there. Friday would be the best, but anytime you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all awesome. Keep up the good work, Jim!

    John and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am grateufl for smiles in adversity;
    I am grateful for emotion that binds us together;
    I am grateful for the gift of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad things are going better for all of you. Please let me know if you need anything. I am more than happy to help!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pity Parties are also very therapeutic! PP's are an open invitation! They can start at a moments notice. Just give the word. But Navajo tacos must be the main coarse. (Must bring your own Seat Belt just ask Camille) On Sunday we had 30 kids and adults. 100 scones were made and devoured!
    Your kids are incredible! Very mannerly, sweet and easy to have around. You and Jim should be very proud of them.
    Our Prayers are with you and Jim!
    Lots of Love, Jill Hildebrand

    ReplyDelete